January 25, 2011

The Versus (Star Wars vs. Star Trek)

So here are the results from the most recent versus poll: Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Star Wars 81%
Star Trek 18%



I was actually a bit surprised at this. For most of the week Star Wars was ahead with a 100% backing but then out of nowhere came some Star Trek supporters to give the Force a run for its money. Of course, by the end it was clear that Star Wars was the true winner. I'm quite curious about this result. Don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek, I just love Star Wars, and apparently most of you do as well. So why is that?

I know what draws me to Star Wars is the mythology. The Force, the jedi order, Darth Vader, and freaking lightsabers. A quest of a young man to fulfill his destiny and bring balance to the galaxy. Though is it really balanced if it's 90% good and 10% evil? That doesn't seemed balanced to me. So maybe when Anakin became Vader he was actually fulfilling his destiny to bring balance to the Force because by then there were two Sith and two Jedi (sort of). I'm going to stop this theoretical stuff for now before I cause your eyes to roll into the back of your head from all of this nonsense. Or is it nonsense? Tangents. Anyway, Star Trek was more of a serial deal. A team of adventurers on a ship, which was basically like a submarine, flying through space with teleporters, phasers, and William Shatner. Plus, multiple series were spun off from the TOS (as it is called by Trekkers, which I always get confused with Tales of Symphonia, but that's just me) such as The Next Generation, DS9, and Voyager. In sheer volume of time, I suppose Star Trek would have to win, but in awesomeness, legendary appeal, worldwide sex appeal, and recognition with geeks and those who claim they are not, Star Wars wins by 12 parsecs.

Here's a chance to explain yourself voters: Why do you like Star Wars more than Star Trek?

May the Force be with you.

[END TRANSMISSION]

4 comments:

  1. Why Star Trek is my favorite:
    1. I'm a sucker for the whole naval motif. I think that's also a big part of the reason I love BSG so much.
    2. I love the idea of following these characters as they try to build a utopia. They (the characters) have great intentions but inevitably they run into problems that they have to overcome. It just feels very real. None of this "save the galaxy" stuff.
    3. Star Trek has always been a pioneering show, they had the first interracial kiss on TV for crying out loud. Not to mention exploring ideas of personhood and identity in TNG and having a female captain in Voyager. They really paved the way for all of the other sci-fi series (you can see the influences in Firefly, Stargate, and BSG clear as day.)
    4. "Make it so."
    5. Star Trek saved NASA back in the 70s. Go look it up, it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I know I was on the losing end of this battle and I'm not going to convince any Star Wars fans out there (Archymedius included) that Star Trek is better. I just like it a lot more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just like a star wars fan.

    Cheater.

    ReplyDelete