January 17, 2011

The Experiment (1)

[UPDATE] You guys need incentives don't you? So here you go: if you can come up with a sentence that can be read in more than two different ways, and I'm talking a substantial sentence here, not something like "I lv cts", try 10 words or more (the more the better), if you can do that you'll get two free movie tickets from Fandango. Get to it! Furthermore, what to do with "y". In the case where "y" is acting as a vowel get rid of it, in all other cases it can stay in such as "yodel", but not "baby". Get it? Got it? Good.

Here's a nifty thought/social experiment a fellow student and I just came up with while working on some general relativity. Could the English language work if we removed all vowels? Except for "I" being used as a pronoun and "a" as an article of course. The internet and texting has already created a language that is filled with abbreviations, but can we abbreviate the abbreviations further? I'm not a linguist. I mean, my mom always told me that English was my worst language and it also happens to be my first. This is definitely an interesting challenge. Could you come up with the ultimate ambiguous sentence that could be read multiple different ways? I'm not sure, that's the beauty of the experiment.

So here are a few simple examples I've come up with:

Th clr rd s wsm.

S spt rn.

Here's a longer one:

W bgn b rxmnng mprtnt dscvr md b Frd n th lst cntr.

Can you understand them? Post what you think they are below or Twitter or Tumblr (the links are in the new "A Link For Your Thoughts" section on the left). If you can create something that is entirely ambiguous I think you'll deserve a prize. Show me what you've got.

Drm n.

[ND TRNSMSSN]

2 comments: