January 22, 2011

The Reply (The Dual)

In response to the comments I'm amassing over at [The Dual], I figure I should clear up a few things:

(a) I get that things can't be boiled down to just good and evil, that there is a spectrum of sorts. A collage if you will.

(b) I am not a philosopher, hence I can be wrong about these things and still be right. Or wait, maybe that's what philosophers do.

(c) I clearly need other people to help me sort out these posts before posting them. Anyone up for the job?

(d) It was late/early.

(e) Experience helps to define who we are, but I can still safely say that I am not entirely sure who I want to be. There's so much out there, I find it hard to pick just one thing. Plus, that's where my insane division of attention causes problems.

(f) I am going to get through the entire alphabet here.

(g) I don't subscribe to one type of philosophy. I like to MacGyver my own.

(h) I've been trying to get MacGyver into a post so that was the reasoning for the last one.

(i) I signed [The Dual] "Mindless Philosopher"

(j) Thank you for reading.

(k) I'm an astrophysicist and I've never heard the term wavicle before. I don't like it, it makes me feel all weird.

(l) You should check out Moon. It may shed some light on some stuff. And it's just a good movie.

(m) I oversimplify things sometimes. This is because when I over think, I tend to over simplify to counter act that. Obviously that can have negative effects.

(n) Wavicle is real. I just looked it up. Plus spell check didn't catch it, I should have realized it from that. But it doesn't recognize MacGyver. Now that is a crime.

(o) It's yin yang people. Not ying yang. I'm just throwing that out there. (@Dokami I know you said yin yang, I'm just pointing out that a lot of people say "ying yang", not you.)

(p) They have a similar discussion of dualism in Donnie Darko with the whole love and hate thing. I should have remembered that and Donnie's comments there about how it can't be divided into just two things. That there is a whole spectrum of human emotions and such that get involve. Curse my lack in foresight to use my movie knowledge in writing this post.

(q) Darth Vader is Luke's father.

(r) Philosophy is a discussion so feel free to discuss more with me. I am definitely open to more ideas. And I am enjoying getting comments that help me reexamine what I've written. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need for posts like this.

(s) Okay, it is really hard to come up with 26 things to say in response to a few comments.

(t) Moments describe us but not define us...I'm not sure how I feel about this statement. Indeed, I do believe that moments, events in our pasts can and do describe who we are, but I'm unclear about how they can and cannot define us. I do believe that if we allow ourselves to let single moments define us that we can get into trouble, but what about a plethora of moments? I certainly consider the moments of happiness and legendary adventures in my life as moments that are worth being part of the definition of myself, but I can understand that they aren't the whole definition of who I am.

(u) Clearly, further discussion is required.

(v) It is best to have friends that may share a similar world view, but have different views on many other things (such as philosophy). This way you always have something to talk about. Just reserve the yelling and punching for Super Smash Bros. okay?

(w) Why is it called "double-u"? It looks more like a double-v to me.

(x) "Mindless Philosopher" is a Star Wars reference if you didn't catch that earlier. R2-D2 calls C-3P0 one in Una Nueva Esperanza.

(y) Did I mention I'm not a philosopher?

(z) What is coming in the air tonight Phil Collins?

Philosophize on.

[END TRANSMISSION]

1 comment:

  1. 1) this post is awesome.
    2) of course wavicle is a real term. what kind of cryogenicist do you take me for?
    3) Moon totally blew my mind out my nose and into my lap. it was quite a scene, i'm glad i was alone in my apartment at the time.
    4) I loved Drew's collage image.
    5) in french it is double-v.

    ReplyDelete