March 16, 2011

The 5 (Stalkerish Songs)

As a member of the cliché geek community, we are often painted with a brush which consists of watching our romantic crushes from a distance since we don't have the conjones to go over and say hi or whatever. This is not always the case of course, but that's not what I'm here to convince you of. I'm here to show you that the label of stalker should probably be applied to these artists rather than the geek community on the whole. So here you have it, 5 stalkerish songs for those of you who love to watch from afar...for the most part.

Honorable Mention: Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go - "Cinema"

This is actually the song that made me want to start this list. Featured on the Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit soundtrack, I at first enjoyed the tune for it's beat and dance feel, but after listening to the words such as "I could watch you forever" or "hope you start undressing" I definitely got a stalker vibe out of this song. But that won't stop me listening to it because it's a quality tune, hence why it gets an honorable mention.




5. Death Cab For Cutie - "I Will Possess Your Heart"

The title pretty much says it all. If you're unfamiliar with this Death Cab For Cutie song it seems to tell the story of a guy trapped in the friend zone, but he's going about getting out of it the wrong way. No means no dude. Sometimes it is acceptable to never give up but "I won't let you let me down so easily" sounds a bit too far. Easy off dude.




4. Blondie - "One Way Or Another"

While the guy from the last song had some issues with the concept of "no", Blondie escalates the stalking to the actual art of following the target. Though, part way through the song she switches it up to evading someone, but then jumps immediately back into stalking her prey. If you're dating someone and this comes up on one of your significant other's most played songs, you may want to reevaluate your situation.




3. Hall and Oates - "Private Eyes"

"Private eyes. They're watching you. They see your every move." Enough said right? On first listen, I would have thought this was about being a detective, but clearly the chorus seems to indicate something a little deeper than that. Say what you will, despite the slightly stalkerish lyrics, the song will always remind me of two of my favorite TV shows, Psych and Chuck.




2. The Police - "Every Breath You Take"

I bet you thought this would be number one, but after listening to the lyrics of the next song, I think this one is safe at number two. Regardless, the Police will always hold a very special place in the heart of stalkers everywhere with this one, but who wouldn't want Sting watching them? Well me actually, that guy freaks me out a bit. And no offense Sting, but I don't want to belong to you, you creepy son of an English milkman (it's true).




1. Peter Gabriel - "Intruder"

And here I thought Gabriel was a good guy, but this song just blew my mind. The title alone indicates just how far this stalker persona will go. Thankfully Sting, the Police, and Hall and Oates know to keep their distance, but here we find a guy breaking into a house and taking things. Congrats Peter Gabriel, you have topped the stalker charts.




Dream on.

[END TRANSMISSION]
____________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment