January 10, 2011

The Gap

We are the iGeneration. They are not.

Technology is a young man's person's game. Not necessarily the invention of it, but the understanding and manipulation of it definitely has an inverse correlation with age. This was spurred by my mother remarking that I didn't end up helping her enough with my technological assignments over my winter break, such as setting up speed dial on her cell phone, teaching her how to use an mp3 player, and a few other things. I'm sure I'm not the only person that has to deal with aging parents who have been left behind by the invention of iPods, DVDs, and Facebook. So what is a good son or daughter supposed to do when the rents come calling about how to set the DVD player (oh yes, that could happen)? First take a deep breath. Now try to remember these are the people that raised you and they had to deal with getting up to turn the TV on and off unlike you and me. Let's cut them some slack for the years of a roof over our heads and you know all that stuff they tell you to be thankful for.

Now take it slow, the generational gap includes a language gap as well. Words like browser and blog can be confusing so make it simple. Relate new things to old things, or other things they understand. Like an iPod click wheel, relate it to a rolodex (you do know what a rolodex is right?), or jukebox flipper, or something like that. Navigating the internet can be like driving. But if you don't want them taking the offramp to Facebook it's pretty easy, just don't give them directions to it. If they figure it out on their own then you could quite possibly be screwed, but that's what privacy settings are for right? If all else fails, you can always use terms like do-hickey, thingamajig, and whatchamacalit. Now of course this is a relatively simple example, one that I've had to deal with, but I've also been lucky since my dad used to run an Apple store back in the day. Try and be patient your parents (or older relatives), we'll be like them soon enough. Not like them...you get the idea.

Being a member of the iGeneration has its burdens yes, but merely catering to your parents' FAQs isn't all of it. We also have the burden of becoming just like them. I've seen my fair share of 12 year olds who can out text me and others who can out shoot me on Xbox Live. Abbreviations are getting shorter, musicians are getting younger, and we're now heading into the awkward teen years of the new millenium. While having my parents ask me for IT help makes me feel young again, it's when I have to ask someone younger than me for help that makes me feel old. As I said, technology is a young person's game, and we're not getting any younger.

Dream on.

[END TRANSMISSION]

No comments:

Post a Comment